Saturday, February 11, 2012

Indelible {Guest Post :: Cara}

Oh my dear Cara! Eeee! I am so excited for you all to "meet" her!! Okay, so....I found Cara's blog THE week before Relevant, and I proceeded to stalk...I mean....comment on like 4 posts in a row. I "knew" instinctively that we would be fast friends. And once we FINALLY found each other at Relevant, I was right. I love finding kindred spirits. For me it is like finding a piece of my own soul. Cara's blog is a place where she strives to live her life out loud in the hopes that others will feel free to do the same. As a work-at-home-mom of 3 and wife to one soulmate, she tells real and messy stories to encourage, to uplift, and to wrap a virtual arm around you with as much grace and gusto as she can at her personal blog, Whimsy Smitten {don't you just love the way that rolls off the tongue?}. You can also find Cara's words at (in)courage, The High Calling, and Bibledude.net. So grab your steaming hot cup of joe, and curl up with Cara's words here and then hop over to her place and make a new friend, just like I did!



Indelible

I try to scrape up words.


That's what writers do. Between sleeps, between meals, between diaper changes and cups of coffee, we scrape up words, fingers splayed on keyboards like garden rakes, digging into a blank page like a yard full of leaves that become words that dance from our hearts and through our fingers and maybe into the heart of whoever happens by.

And when the hard times come, my blood runs black like typewriter ink and I bleed all over pages with all the aches and all the wonders. And when life whispers quiet and for now, all is well, the ink well dries and my cursor blinks blank, but at both ends of the spectrum, it is the words of Scripture that alight my heart and give me something to say.

It is the life within the ink that gives me life.

I wonder about ancient scribes and if they ever wrote blocked, or if the Word of God coursed through them like waves of ocean that could not be contained because He had tales to tell and promises to promise. Sometimes, the words cannot be contained. Sometimes, the pursuit of God is liquid and power and a flood that uproots everything around. And sometimes, it is only a bird on a branch, a finch that winks and if you aren't watching, you'll miss it.

Some days, I don't have the strength. Some days, I don't have the wisdom to see God in all his lurking, loving places. Some days, the ink is only black but the words are never only words. They are life, and this is how He pursues. This is how he speaks to my restless heart with his relentless love, through words, through black ink and paper pages.

Words of songs and words of books and words of hymns and bloggers and love letters. Words of Solomon and Paul and David who cried raw to the one who flooded his heart, and Job who cried raw to the one who uprooted his life. The life within the ink gives me life.

Joshua said to the Israelites, "Come here and listen to the words of the Lord your God" (Joshua 3:9).

Yes, come here and listen. Listen and read and write and sing and draw and breathe the words of the Lord, whose love is indelible.


This month I have asked some of my fellow bloggers to join me here at The Little Missionary Girl All Grown Up to share how they have seen the Relentless Love of the Father in their lives in moments of brokenness, heartache, and valley-of-shadow moments. This post is the 4th in the series of that exploration into the passion of the Father for us across the miles, across the generations, across the hearts that are His.
To read more of the posts, click here and here.




3 comments:

Cara @ WhimsySmitten said... Best Blogger Tips

What an honor to be featured at this wonderful place, Lindsey.  Thank you for believing in my words.  <3

Amy Lee Ellis said... Best Blogger Tips

Oh, my goodness.  This is sooo how I feel sometimes when I think about writing.  And when I told God I didn't know what to do, He told me to write.

Annie | annieathome.com said... Best Blogger Tips

How did I miss this? I love the word-picture here, the intermingling of words and ink and life here. And you write your words on blogs but you write them on hearts, too, Cara - and the Word and His life is written on our hearts as you live and write yours out vulnerably. Thank you for these sweet words, friend.

Related Posts with Thumbnails