Wednesday, October 10, 2012

31 Days of Story {Day 10} Bloom Where You Are Planted

"Bloom where you are planted."

I do not remember much else from that letter, but my nearly thirteen-year-old heart needed those words.

"Bloom where you are planted, Lindsey."

The angst of becoming a teenager is experienced by every human being. Add on top of that being a belongs-to-no-culture-for-reals missionary kid, and the evolution to adolescence feels more like being trapped in a magician's death chamber than a whole new world of possibilities.

For years, I had dreaded the transitions, saying goodbye, living far away, being different from people in both cultures, but somehow, when all the facts-of-life hormones began to surge, the distinctions felt insurmountable.


I wanted to be normal.
Like other American kids.
I tired of being incompatible with the world around me.

I cried and railed against this planet that was my life.
Why me?
Why our family?
Why God?
Why did I have to be so DIFFERENT?
Why did I have to be so weird?

And then my youth pastor uncle sent me this letter to remind me that I was not forgotten by God. This was not haphazard. I was not just a side effect of my parents' calling. There was purpose for me here in this place too. A place where I could bloom, in this season, into the woman God was calling me to be, one day.


Sitting on that concrete balcony overlooking my Caribbean mountains through the black railing protecting the 3 story drop, I breathed those words into my soul.

"Bloom where you are planted."

It would not eliminate the whys from my mouth.
But it would give me a mantra that I would repeat over and over again for the rest of my life.

"Bloom where you are planted."
"Bloom where YOU are planted."

Bloom, girl, bloom....

Do you remember the first lesson you had 
in being fully there in your life? 
What was it? How old where you?




Want to read the entire 31 days of story?
If you do not want to miss even ONE day, please subscribe 
at the top of this post by entering your email address.

Also linking with Jennifer, Mary Beth, and Duane 
and the encouraging communities they have created here on the web.

5 comments:

Hope Joy Peace said... Best Blogger Tips

Your teenage mantra is beautiful. It's what I needed to read today. I love it! "Bloom where YOU are planted." It's all a part of God's great plan for our lives. This is a wonderful way to say to each of us to enjoy God's plan for our lives.

Jerri Miller said... Best Blogger Tips

I love those words, "Bloom where YOU are planted." If you believe, like I do, that God directs your every step, then you know you are where you are supposed to be. So make it your own, and bloom!

Ms. Kathleen said... Best Blogger Tips

I wish I could say I remember but I don't and the reason is this. When you grow up in an abusive household - Dad the abuser, Mom constantly in denial and looking away - you live in survival mode. You have the normal facade on the outside for the world to see but on the inside you are always on the alert of the huge hand that might knock you against a wall. Fortunately, Dad became less abusive as I got older but being the eldest of five I was probably in my 30's when I realized he couldn't hurt me anymore - except emotionally - And then one day he was being verbally abusive and my husband heard it and wow - In very polite but in very clear terms he laid down the law. Maybe that was it - having this Man of God stand up for me? I'm not sure exactly because God had been doing an amazing work in my heart - But the Lord has healed me, my Dad got saved - hallelujah! - And I live a very happy life :) I'm bloomin'!

soulstops said... Best Blogger Tips

So glad God gave you a truth to hang onto during your teenage years...I can't remember when I learned that truth of blooming where I am planted...I am a late learner and bloomer :) Blessings, Lindsey :)

Annie | annieathome.com said... Best Blogger Tips

Ha! I think that time might be right now for me! Grateful for your words here.

Related Posts with Thumbnails